10 OMG Facts About Chihuahuas Dogs 101
I bought my daughter a Chihuahua and I fell in love with it. So now I carry Coco around with me all the time. Denis Leary
Welcome to Animal Facts, the channel with the surprisingly, simplistic name. Today, we look at a fan favorite; the charming and sassy Chihuahua.
10. While currently at 29th, the Chihuahua’s highest AKC breed ranking was in 2002 when it peaked at 9th place. This was possibly due in part to the immensely popular Taco Bell commercials of the time. Yes, you still remember…
9. The Taco Bell Dog was actually a female. The commercials that aired from 1994 – 2009 feature a female Chihuahua named Gidget. In addition to her Taco Bell gig, the canine thespian also appeared in Legally Blonde 2 and a GEICO commercial. Not bad for a former kennel dog. When she passed away in 2009, Taco Bell released a statement: “Our deepest sympathies go out to her owners and fans.”
8. The Chihuahua has one of the longest lifespans. It has an average lifespan of 10 – 18 years. With many Chihuahuas living well over 20 years. What doesn’t take long is liking this video and subscribing to Animal Facts.
7. The Chihuahua is named after the state of Chihuahua in Mexico. They are believed to be descendants of an ancient breed, the techichi. The Toltecs, the native people that flourished in Mexico before the Aztecs, kept them as lap dogs as early as the 9th century.
6. Chihuahuas were once a sacred breed.
Mummified remains have been found in Meso-American grave sites. Ancient people believed the pups helped them travel to the afterlife, as well as possessing healing qualities.
5. In 105 years of competition, a Chihuahua has never won Best in Show at Westminster.
4. The Chihuahua has one of the largest color combinations of any breed. Chihuahuas can come in virtually any color combination. Their hair also comes in long, short or mid-coat. It can be wiry or silky and can be a single coat or double coat.
3. Chihuahuas can either have apple or deer shaped noggins. Deer-headed Chihuahuas have a narrow head and longer snout, while the apple-headed pups sport a bulbous dome. Both are adorable, but the AKC strongly prefers the apple shape for show dogs.
2. Relative to their bodies, Chihuahuas have the largest brain in the dog world. They’re quick-witted and easy to train. They’re not, however, easy to housebreak, as a result of a tiny bladder and a willful personality.
1. CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS MIGHT HAVE BROUGHT THEM TO EUROPE. While experts are certain the small dogs come from Mexico, the route they took to Europe is less clear. Some point to Christopher Columbus, who wrote a letter to the King of Spain referencing the tiny dogs. It’s possible that he brought some of the cute canines back from his travels.
So there we have it. 10 huge facts about tiny dogs with big personalities. Did we miss any fun facts about the lovable Chihuahua? If so, let us all know in the comments below. And don’t forget to like and subscribe for more fun facts about your favorite animals. Nos vemos la próxima. Catch ya next time.
*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you).