*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you).
10 True Facts About Pet Rats
I actually don’t mind rats at all. I kind of think they’re quite cute, but that’s just me. Jamie Bell
Rats are complex little creatures; intelligent, social, resourceful, and for the rat fanatics they are adorable and loving companions. Today on Animals Facts, let’s get to know the fun little fellows.
10. A Hindu temple dedicated to the rat goddess Karni Mata in India houses more than 20,000 rats that are considered holy. Many people travel far to pay respect to the rats, which are believed to be reincarnations of the goddess and her clansmen.
9. If you were born in 1912, 1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, or 1996, then you’re a rat, well, according to Chinese astrology. This would make you quick-witted, resourceful, and something of a fashionista. Exactly like a rat, except for the clothes bit, because ya know, rats don’t wear clothes… well except those from NIHM.
8. In 2005 Spanish researchers showed that rats can be trained to distinguish spoken Japanese from spoken Dutch. Well, that’s not hard… wait, why wasn’t Spanish one of the languages?
7. Rats succumb to peer-pressure, just like humans, when asked to like and subscribe. They are prone to disregard prior experiences in order to copy the behavior of their peers. The urge to conform is so strong that they will even choose to eat unpalatable food if they are in the company of other rats who are eating it.
6. Rats are extremely clean animals, spending several hours every day grooming themselves and their group members. They are less likely than cats or dogs to catch or transmit parasites or viruses.
5. Some species of rats can go longer than a camel without having a drink of water. The kangaroo rat, a species native to North America, is known to live in the desert with no water. It’s secret is its highly concentrated pee.
4. Rats make happy “laughter” sounds when they play. We humans can’t hear them because they’re in the ultrasonic range, but researchers have recorded the sounds, while tickling rats, and transposed them to a range we can hear.
3. Rats are little adventurers and they were one of the first animals to make the trip to outer space.
2. A group of rats is fittingly called a mischief.
1. Rats are very lovable animals. They love being in the company of their own species or humans. They like playing collectively and love to sleep curled up together. They have demonstrated altruistic behavior and take care of the injured and sick rats in their group.
So there you have it, 10 facts about rats and if you knew them all then we give you an A+. If you liked this list take a moment to like this video.
Let us know in the comments how many of these facts you knew. Also, if there are any weird or surprising facts about rats that you know! And why not subscribe for more mischief. Catch ya next time.