*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you).
Gentoo Penguins Fun Facts for Kids Penguins 101 #penguin
What are some interesting facts about the Gentoo penguin?
With flamboyant red-orange beaks, white-feather caps, and peach-colored feet, gentoo penguins stand out against their drab, rock-strewn Antarctic habitat. Hi, welcome to Animal Facts, today we discuss the Gentoo Penguin. If you love animals, click that subscribe button and Let’s Get Started.
Comment your favorite penguin fact below.
10. The Gentoo Penguin is easily recognized by the wide white stripe that goes across the tops of their heads from one eye to the other. Gentoo Penguins have a very bright orange beak. Chicks have gray backs with white fronts.
9. Gentoos are partial to ice-free areas, including coastal plains, sheltered valleys, and cliffs. They gather in colonies of breeding pairs that can number from a few dozen to many thousands.
8. Like all penguins, Gentoos are awkward on land. But they’re pure grace underwater. They have streamlined bodies and strong, paddle-shaped flippers that propel them up to 22 miles an hour (36 kilometers an hour), faster than any other diving bird.
7. Gentoo penguins are a favored menu item of the leopard seals, sea lions, and orcas that patrol the waters around their colonies. On land, adults have no natural predators other than humans, who harvest them for their oil and skin. Gentoo eggs and chicks, however, are vulnerable to birds of prey, like skuas and caracaras.
5. The gentoo penguin is the third largest species of penguin in the world behind the king penguin and the emperor penguin, with adult gentoo penguins reaching heights of up to 80cm in the southern parts of their range. The gentoo penguins found further north, are on average, slightly heavier and taller than their southern counterparts.
4. The gentoo penguin is a carnivorous animal, that like all other penguin species survives on a diet that is only comprised of marine animals. Krill and small crustaceans make up the bulk of the Gentoo penguin’s diet along with larger organisms including squid and various species of fish.
3. On average, the gentoo penguin breeds once a year, forming pairs that usually remain faithful to one another. The female gentoo penguin lays two eggs which are incubated by both parents for just over a month when only one of the eggs will usually hatch.
2. The chicks stay in the nest for about a month at which time they form nursery groups or ‘creches’, while their parents hunt for food. After about 3 months (usually in January) the chicks grow their adult feathers and are able to head out on their own.
1. Today, the gentoo penguin is a near threatened animal as they are easily affected by changes in the water, both pollution, and temperature. Gentoo penguin populations in some areas have also been depleted through human hunting.
Well, there we have it, a quick list for the world’s fastest penguin? What is your favorite penguin species? Comment below. IF you like this list, hit that like button and make sure to subscribe, for more fun fauna facts. If you’d like to help us create more lists, consider becoming a patron on Patreon and as always, catch ya next time.
From wikipediaL The long-tailed gentoo penguin (/ˈdʒɛntuː/ jen-too) (Pygoscelis papua) is a penguin species in the genus Pygoscelis, most closely associated with the Adélie penguin (P. adeliae) and the chinstrap penguin (P. antarcticus). The first scientific description was made in 1781 by Johann Reinhold Forster with a reference point of the Falkland Islands. They call in a variety of ways, but the most frequently heard is a loud trumpeting which is emitted with its head thrown back.